The Pakistan-German Society Lahore (PGSL), a non-political and non-profit society, is duly registered under the Foreign Cultural Society Associations (Regulation of Functioning) Act, 1975. It was established to foster and develop an understanding and cooperation between Pakistan and Germany.
In order to achieve its objectives, the Pakistan German Society Lahore (PGSL) has set up a cultural and language institute, namely the Annemarie-Schimmel-Haus. The PGSL’s main task is to facilitate the language and cultural programmes organised by the Annemarie-Schimmel-Haus in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut.
The Annemarie-Schimmel-Haus opened its doors to the public in May 2003 and the PGSL has signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Goethe-Institut for the purpose of promoting the bilateral dialogue between Pakistan and Germany through an extensive German language programme as well as through cultural events.
The PGSL boasts a board of members comprises, among others, the Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany in Pakistan, the Honorary Consul of Germany in Lahore and the Director of the Goethe-Institut Pakistan as well as many prominent and accomplished members of the civil society.
The current PGSL board members are:
- Mr. Qasim Jafri (President)
- Ms. Nuria Rafique-Iqbal (General-Secretary)
- Mr. Ahmed Hasan Khan (Vice President/Treasurer)
- H.E. Mr. Martin Kobler, the Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Mr. Arif Saeed, Honorary Consul of Germany in Lahore
- Mr. Stefan Winkler, Director of the Goethe-Institut Pakistan
- Professor Salima Hashmi
- Mr. Anees-ur-Rehman
- Mr. Khaled Ahmed
- Mr. Arif Ijaz
- Ms. Sowaba Shehzad
- Ms. Naurin Zaki, Director of the Annemarie-Schimmel-Haus